Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Our weekend adventures

Last weekend I was off of work and decided to try and get more familiar with my camera. It has been a hot and cold relationship since that fateful day when I first unpacked it many moons ago (about 4 years ago). I have been trying to get that perfect picture, you know the one that all the professional photographers seem to be able to get but when you stand in the exact same place with the same lighting your turns out looking like you had the camera turned around the wrong way with the lens cap still on. A good friend of mine at work made me realize something that I already knew. They cheat. And they process everything through photoshop. And those really cool pictures that look like they can't possibly be actual places on this earth? It's this new fangled HDR photography where you take 3-5 pictures of the same subject with different exposure settings then blend them together in a virtual blender and it comes out looking like someone took a bunch of paint to your picture because you could swear that the subject you took the picture of was not that colorful when you were there. So back to my original story, I decided to force Alyssa to be my chauffeur again and take me out to the lake to try my hand at this HDR crap. We took some posed shots in-between the scenery pics. Some turned out pretty good, some of those are here, the others that were not so good will not show up for the obvious reason. By the way,if you try your hand at this HDR stuff, do not have someone try to pose, it just doesn't work.
There were a bunch of ladybugs around so we had to get a closeup.
Kelsie loves to pose for pictures. Alyssa posed for a couple but it was a weird position on the rock because the guy taking the picture thought he had this great idea for a pose but it just turned out goofy.
Serious look. I'm not sure what I was going for here, moodiness? Longing? Boredom?
This was the better pose. The other pose had her up on the rock squatting down and looking to the right. I know, what was I thinking?

Another one of those fake poses. It just doesn't look natural. They are not even looking at the same thing.
This is one of my better scenery pictures taken by the lake. I even did the HDR thing but had the settings too low so it didn't make much of a difference and the program I used was a free download that is fully functioning but if you want the stupid water mark to go away on the finished product you have to pay for it. How dumb is that? I'm still thinking it over.
We also took a trip out to that pond by the Spanish Fork golf course. Here a re a few of the better pictures.

I was surprised that this one turned out so good. I took it with my 300 zoom lens. I also got a few of them with their butts in the air, I thought it would be kinda funny, maybe some other time.

This one looks so much more natural. Also taken with the zoom lens but I didn't tell them. Shortly after this picture we started to get stray golf balls coming our way.
We finally got Kelsie to touch the turtle.
Saturday night we went to the play at the Hale Center in Orem. If you have the chance go see Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, way funny. We usually try to go on a day when we can stop and get dinner before the show. Our usual stop is the Korean place in Provo, unless they are closed for some reason then we will go to one of the place up in Orem. Korean food just before a play, it just seems right. This stop added an extra flair of fun to the evening when we sat and listened to the music playing in the restaurant. "Have yourself a merry little Christmas" was just winding down and after a few other songs played we were surprised then hear bagpipes. I spent 2 years in Korea and I don't ever recall bagpipes ever playing. Maybe it's something new to the country. This is my favorite, stone bowl bibin bap. If you happen to find yourself in a Korean restaurant try it some time. Just make sure you get the raw egg mixed in and don't ever touch the bowl, it is very hot and stays that way until you are finished.
Kelsie is getting better at the chop sticks.
See. She can even pick up the bean sprouts (one of her favorite side dishes)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your doing real good taking pictures. Of course you have two beautiful daughters as subjects. Glad to hear the play was good, we go on the 12th.

Grammy Rae said...

Is Kelsie's tongue really blue or did you add something? Keep practicing with the camera and sharing them. They're enjoyable and one way to see how the girls are doing.

sherry said...

It was a good thing that we had desert night so I could find out you updated this great blog post. Love it!