Friday, June 25, 2010

Things I have learned so far this summer

Nearing the end of the first month of summer I thought it would be good to look back at what has happened so far, or at least what I have learned so far. I also noticed it has been a while and Mom is probably going crazy knowing what I am up to.
1. One of the first things I realized this summer is that 13 year old girls can be difficult to entertain. They are full of so much more energy than I am. Good thing she has a bike.
2. Propane can be evil. I smoked some ribs a couple of weeks ago, about halfway through I checked on them and found the temp was falling so I looked at the flame, it was out. I turned the dial to off but then for some reason turned it back. When you do that on the model I own it sparks again to light the burner. Did you know that a fireball sounds kinda like a rushing wind? This brings me to the next thing I learned.
3. Burned hair really stinks. My entire right arm was smooth as a baby's bottom for about a week. Both eyebrows took significant damage but according to the girls it did help tame some of the wild hairs. You are probably wondering where the pictures are.
4. The last thing to go through your mind after being attacked by a fireball is "this would make great blog material."
5. When Dad is under heavy medication he says some really funny stuff.
6. Optimus Prime and his little buddy, yellow truck, (I forgot his name, something like Ripcord or Cardiac Express or... Jeff) will not turn into robots at 10:00 at night while stopped at a Flying J truck stop in Payson.
7. One of the last things you want to hear at 10:00 at night just after a long day of work in the yard and ready to go to bed is "Optimus Prime and...Jeff are at the Flying J in Payson, Who wants to go?Let's just call him Jeff
Some girl admiring O. Prime. Keep staring girl, he ain't gonna change.

One of Alyssa's artsy photos
Would this be considered his butt? No, really, have you never thought of it before? Would it be where his exhaust pipes are? Because they are up by his face,
See, exhaust pipes by his face. The kids are even pointing to them.
This was kind of a cool artsy picture until the family got in the way.
Oddly enough everyone did stay off the trucks.


8. Pitching a tent in the backyard and cooking brats over the fire pit can be considered "camping".
Add a cool Fathers Day gift like a canopy and you'll be amazed how much fun it is to be in your own back yard.


9. It is possible to complete this little project in as little as 5 days. I know what you are thinking, "5 days? Rob, how is that possible?" Well let me tell you. It takes a lot of willpower and, well, gas and driving back and forth but you too can do it in 5 days just like me.
10. I am not a patient gardener. This year we planted tomatoes. 2 big ones, 1 small one, I think the pros call them "cherry" and a new one that is supposed to look and taste kinda like a peach. This is the one I am most interested in seeing. I don't even like tomatoes, their only calling is to be in salsa, otherwise they are useless.
This is our pepper patch. I think there are about 5 bell peppers of different colors, we have fun with the colors. There is also a jalapeno plant. Jalapenos I have decided are like those people you know who are kinda like friends, until you meet up with them and for a while they are OK but after too much exposure to them you wish they would go away because they give you bad heartburn.
I really didn't think these guys would ever show up. Kelsie wanted to grow something so she found an old package of carrots so we said what the hey, let's try it.
We are trying something new this year, blueberries. We were told that they take a lot of work. Who knows, maybe by next year we will have grown a great crop of dead twigs?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for updating your blog. I love reading what you are up to. Good luck with your garden.