We have a tradition of going to the balloon launch every 4Th of July, or at least we have gone enough times to count it as a tradition. Every year we go and watch the same 20 balloons inflate and then try to get back to throw a beanbag at the spectators who all happen to be there to watch the ballooners fight it out for air supremacy. This year we had an unexpected guest and some great company along with us.
Did you know that 5:30 am is not an acceptable time to be awake? And nothing should be happening before 6. But for some strange reason balloonerists like this time of day. Crazy people who like to take pictures of balloons inflating seem to like this time of day also.
Whats this? Is this what I think it is? This must be our special guest this year, more on him later.
See, I can smile at 6am. Thankfully this year was a little milder with the temperature but even if we were in the middle of a heat wave Kelsie would still be cold until the sun came up.
One of the yearly staples is the AF bank pig. Another staple is the smokey bear but stupid blogger wont let me slip a picture in anywhere I want so you will miss out on the picture and the smart aleck comment I had in mind, maybe later in a summer wrap up.
More balloonees getting their rides ready for take off. Why is he just laying there? Dude, get up.
All the others are making you look lazy.
Finally it starts to take shape.
Tired? Frightened by the big flames? Frightened by her bald and scary uncle? We may never know.

Finally we are starting to stand upright. Still wondering who it is?
Keep wondering because you are going to have to look at some other balloons first. We had to take a picture of the purple balloons top because once it is fully inflated you would not see the moon on top. You are welcome.
Oh look! Smokey's nose woo hoo! Also notice there are more people wandering around under the balloons. This is by far the funnest part, being surrounded by all these balloons and people like you are in a giant balloon forest... surrounded by a bunch of people you don't know.

Finally, our special guest. Someone brought an awesome Coke balloon. I can't wait to see it launch and float around spreading a message of joy happiness and refreshment to everyone... whats that? You are not going to launch? What the what? Why did you even come if you have no intentions of flying? You are too unstable and unpredictable to fly? Fine, just stand there and look dominating then. They did at least move it to the corner so the other balloons could see the field on their way back.
Off they go.
This is the same time the sun peeks it's head over the mountains in an attempt to burn the flesh off of everyones bodies. It is also handy for an artsy picture. So what do you do while waiting for the balloonereers to come back?
You have a camera war with your sister. Kelli and Steve joined us this year for balloon fest, they were the great company part of the day.
Awww how cute.

The funny thing about Sydney is that usually when she sees me she looks away, this time I was able to get her to look at me but every picture
I took she made a face, most of them she was sticking her tongue out at me but I seem to get that a lot anyway.
I know, isn't this just the cutest picture? And I don't use that word very much.
Another fun thing to do is take pictures of the people doing the macarena.
Firemen do not do the macarena. They just stand there waiting for people to burn stuff.
Artsy
Oooh looky, here they are finally coming back.
Ha ha, the pig is dancing
This is the balloonerist throwing his bean bag at the big X. They also have long pointy sticks they use to pop balloons, seems kind of dangerous to me to have one of those while piloting a giant balloon some 1000 feet in the air but what do I know?
No, I don't know them, I was just trying out my zoom lens. It's a little blurry because when you zoom in close you can tell just how unsteady you really are. Good thing I have a 13 year old that can also double as a mono pod.
With all the balloonites coming back they were forced to deflate the coke balloon, so sad.
Farewell dear friend. After the balloons we went to G-ma Ad G-pa's for breakfast but I forgot to take my camera in and take pictures so you will just have to imagine how good it was.
I took she made a face, most of them she was sticking her tongue out at me but I seem to get that a lot anyway.
5 comments:
ha ha ha! okay, so First- I love the new look of your blog! Second- excellent use of the term "what the what"! Third- you got a new lens? FUN! Fourth- stupid coke balloon!
That was lots of fun... and you got some awesome pictures! I also want to know if "balloonerist" is an official term?
Thanks for the pictures of the balloons, since we didn't go this year. Sure enjoyed having everyone here for breakfast. Especially thanks to all who helped. Kelsie did a great job cooking the bacon.lui
I'm impressed you got up so early. Sure hope the non-flying coke balloon was worth it, but it was probably the company that drew you there.
If the balloon was Diet Coke....If would have flown. It would have made me proud!
Post a Comment