Monday, July 26, 2010

I almost died this month

I finally made it out golfing this year. Now before all of the females decide that this is just a stupid post about golf, just let me say that there is actually a funny story here, not just me rambling on about how I made par on about 4 holes. But I did, I thought I had a good day, and for the most part I kept the ball in the fairway. OK, that's enough boring golf talk, on to the funny/terror filled story.

This is the corner that just about killed Alyssa and myself a few years ago. Spanish Fork has this little course up by the canyon that they like to call Spanish Oaks, I call it a bottomless pit to lose golf balls. The front 9 is flat, the back 9 is more on the mountain so you get to drive up and down some hills. Hills always makes golf more interesting, and fun, as long as they don't try to kill you. This hill tried to kill us. It is located just after the 17Th green on the way to the 18Th tee and even though you can't tell from this picture, it is at a 75% grade, or something close to it, then for kicks and giggles they put a hairpin turn at the bottom. They at least thought enough to put a guard rail on it but look close enough and you can see that it has been used a bunch of times. A couple of years ago I decided that golf and driving lessons could be rolled into one afternoon so I let Alyssa drive the cart. I guess I didn't yell BRAKE!!! loud enough or with enough terror in my voice because we ended up on two wheels at the bottom of the hill. I'm sure someone was looking out for Alyssa because we landed safely. I had to lay on the tee box for about 5 minutes before slicing a ball into the trees.

This year Lonna was able to score some killer deals on passes to golf at the local course so Alyssa and I went up to see if we could lose a few balls and avoid sun stroke at the same time. There were enough passes for us to go twice, the first time we went on the front 9, needless to say it was an OK day but of course as you remember, no hills = no fun, other than the fun you get from golfing with your kid that is. The second time we went early enough to talk the guy into letting us go on the back 9. It took some doing but after I said "Hey, can we go on the back 9?" he caved and told us "no-one to push you along back there" which I took as "you guys look like you might take all day and since it is empty up there then what the heck, knock yourself out dude." Everything was going real good unless you happen to be a tree then in that case I apologize for Alyssa hitting so many of you on the 14Th fairway. On the 16Th fairway terror once again struck this daring duo when Alyssa's ball landed halfway down a slope that was being watered. Did you know that wet grass is really slippery? I told her to make sure she got it past the sprinkler but whenever you say something like that the sure enough, it lands smack dab in the middle. So we made a mad dash to get through the sprinklers without getting too wet.Once again I probably should have kept my mouth shut because when we got to her ball I said "that's your ball!" and so she slammed on the brakes with as much zeal as I was hoping for 2 years ago. Did you also know that the tires on golf carts are mostly bald? On the plus side I know that Alyssa is ready for winter driving, the down side is that many more episodes like this and I may need to pack an extra pair of underwear when I go golfing. It felt to me like we did about 5 complete spins, Alyssa assures me that all we did was turn around and start sliding backwards a little bit. I did happen to get a picture of the tracks we made in the grass. I thought "what more could possibly happen now?"
Uh oh!! The hill again. Alyssa assured me that she now knew what BRAKE!!!!! meant.

7 comments:

Grammy Rae said...

That was a great narrative. I almost want to take up golf, but only if I can go with Alyssa.

sherry said...

We have some pretty funny stories about golf carts too. I always blame it on the golf cart. Lets go golfing sometime.

Jenni said...

Come down here and golf! The 14th fairway?? is 2 houses down!!!

Kelli said...

Some of my fondest memories are of golfing with Rob. I don't remember any near-death experiences involved, but then, I don't think Alyssa was around yet.

Anonymous said...

They have a 9 hole golf course here that only cost 9 dollars, also 9 dollars for a golf cart. Of course it costs a lot more than that to get here. We are enjoying ourselves.

Alyssa said...

Oh daddy you forgot to write about all your screaming along the way. When we were spinning you sounded just like a five year old little girl on a roller coaster or in some sort of haunted house. That's what truly made the experience worth while. Love you daddy we need to go golfing more often so we have more fun experiences, oh and I'll guest blog soon!

Dawney said...

LOL!