
Last week we went to Park City, again. I know I told you all about Park City a couple of months ago so what more could I possibly tell you about this fine resort town this time? This time we went with a purpose in mind, shopping and zipline...o.k. that's two things. Kelsie has only two reasons to go to Park City, swimming in the pool and cows. I taught her the ancient Korean missionary tradition of pool hopping. This is when you jump in the cold pool then jump in the hot pool and so forth until the owners get irritated with you and kick you out.

For some reason we still can't go to Park City without walking main street. (that sounds bad) Kelsie was hoping to ride a bike this time. Lonna and I were hoping that they fixed the problem with main street being on a hill.

Have you ever been to Park City? There is a store called Java Cow. This is the other reason Kelsie wants to go to Park City. As you can guess, it features a lot of crap that you can buy that has cow print all over it located on one side of the store, the other side smells like coffee, I can't stand the smell of coffee so this is not one of my favorite stores. All we could do was hope to keep Kelsie in our sights as she sprinted up the street to the store.

Another tradition is to go to the bookstore, the one that is connected to the chocolate shop. We have kindle's now so the only real reason to go is to see if the cats that live there are still alive, we don't even buy chocolate there, just wander through and say "hi" to the cats. I know, weird. Like the cats even care who you are, stuck up beasts.

Lonna found out that they have this huge farmers market by the canyon's resort. We have one in Spanish but the only reason we go is for the Volkers bread. I fear that we may be turning into Volker's stalkers. Volkers was at this market too so of course we had to wander through, we lucked out because they also had a bunch of food stands. Eating from tent vendors is always fun, adds that element of the unknown.

Here we get to one of the main reasons for the trip. Two of Alyssa's teachers nominated her for that keys to success thing where you could win a car if your grades are really good, well when they nominate you you get to go on-line and pick a prize, one was a free dinner a Tucano's, the other was a free zip line pass for two. I kind of talked her into this one, it sounded fun, then I looked at the requirements and saw that they had a weight limit but didn't think much about it until 3weeks before we left. I was slightly over (6 pounds) so I started to exercise and eat less. The real reason is because Lonna promised to whistle at me when I walk by if I loose weight and develop something called a "bootie" so I thought I would give it a try.

These are flags.

Kids on ski lift.

When we walked into the visitors center they told us that the Australian team was on the Nordic jump for another hour. When we got to the jumps this guy was getting ready to jump.

Here he is landing safely. His buddy went next, he also landed safely so no big crash pictures. After they landed they unzipped their suits and walked into a building and that was it, two jumpers, done. Man what a rip-off. Oh well, time for zip line. Oh yeah, I forgot, my 3 weeks of punishment paid off and I made weight, by 4/10Th's of a pound. Up the mountain we went.

Lonna is not a fan of ski lifts or zip lines or heights so she and Kelsie stayed at the bottom so they could claim the bodies just in case something happened. While she was waiting for us to come down she decided to do some "nature" photography, at least that is what she called it.

Kelsie wasn't sure about the whole zip line thing but after Alyssa and I came down safely, and slowly(that could have been due to the strain I put on the pulleys) and screaming like a school girl, she decided to give it a try.

And here is Alyssa, I think this was her 3rd ride down the zip line.

You would think that a fat guy would go faster, apparently not. It felt like they put some kind of brake on mine, probably something to do with a remote and some guy watching from the office not wanting to clean up the landing zone after the inevitable crash.

See, I made it, just had a little trouble unbuckling that's all. It must have been defective because it was all the way over on the side where it is difficult for a fat guy to reach, yep that's it.

We also got a bunch of alpine slide 2for 1 passes thanks to Lonna's expert deal searching capabilities

We sent the kids down a couple of times. Alyssa's goal was to go fast while staying on the track, Kelsie's goal was not to die like the caterpillar that she squished.

After the kids rode all the rides we walked back up the road (holy cow was that road steep)to the freestyle jumps, you know the ones where they jump into the water? I could watch these guys for hours. This guy went down a bunch of times so of course I had to take a bunch of pictures on burst mode.

This one turned out to be one of the best.

Some of the jumpers were on a smaller jump, this is one of the snowboarders.

They have this Olympic museum where you can see a bunch of stuff from the Salt Lake Olympics like this torch.

Or this torch.

Or you can try out your downhill skills in this awesome simulator.

Both girls had to try. I think they did good.

Bobsled. If you couldn't tell.

Next up, shopping! The other reason for the trip. Back to school shopping. Here they are mapping out the plan of attack. The girls think I was the winner because I bought the most.

On the last day we went to visit Gpa and Gma Cloward at the RV park that they were staying at. Retirement has it's perks I guess. We had fun playing... whatever that game is with golf balls tied to ropes that you throw at the PVC tubing. Then Gma pulled out some hamburgers for Gpa to grill for dinner. They promised us that they would feed us if the girls showed them how to make s'mores. We felt it was our duty to properly educate them.

Gpa pulled out his campfire. So we showed them the proper technique, then the campfire tried to kill us, twice. Did you know that if you don't tighten the connections with a wrench then you can light the gas on fire that seeps out? We found that out.

Artsy picture #1

Artsy picture #2
5 comments:
I had to take the nature picture for Alyssa. I thought she would enjoy it more than the squirrels at the top of the mountain.
I love the fact that Alyssa doesn't seem to be bothered by the camera as much. Nice commentary on your trip. You should offer it to Park City's tourist board for some free stays or zip line tickets. You convinced me.
Looks like a fun time with family. That's what life is all about, family.
Alyssa you should close your mouth when you ski. You never know what is going to fly in it :) I love park city. We should do a trip together sometime.
You keep having run-ins with fire and explosions this summer, am I right? Park City looks like fun, maybe next year we should head up there.
Post a Comment