Thursday, September 1, 2011

Playing around in Lightroom

I realized that I was hopeless when it came to learning how to do anything in Photoshop. Last year when Alyssa was in photography class she mentioned this program called Lightroom and how much she liked it more than Photoshop. I probably thought "wow, another awesome program that will take a masters degree to understand."Then I got an e-mail that said the new version 3 was out and I should trial it for 30 days. I thought "what the heck, 30 days of frustration and feeling like an idiot? I've done that before." I became a convert pretty quickly after I loaded a few older pictures in and started to play around with it. This is a storm cloud that came through, I was able to lighten the bottom of the picture and darken some of the cloud to make it look more like the end of the world. It also gave me another idea for another coffee table book, "Clouds that could kick your butt". It's a working title.
I then played around with a picture of one of my three favorite subjects. Come to think of it I probably should have put the originals of all these also so you could see the differences.


Here's one of my other favorite subjects. Lightened this one up a bunch to show all the brickwork. Am I starting to sound boring? Like one of those guys that drones on and on about something that you are just not interested in but you don't want to offend them by getting up and leaving or just falling over dead from boredom? I am totally turning into that guy.


This turned out to be one of my favorites. I still think there is a really great picture to take here.


I think I mentioned last time about a funeral. Lonna's grandma, Mary Cloward died back on the 30Th of July. Her funeral was on the 4Th so I took the opportunity to fight with/improve my skills with Mr. camera. I also ran them through Lightroom after just to prove to myself that I could turn an O.K. picture into something better. Check out the secret service guy.


Unlike weddings there are no "paid" photographers to contend with at a funeral. You'll see what I mean when I post wedding pictures. Yes, I'm going to make you wait longer. I wonder of anyone has tried to advertise as a funeral photographer?


This is Becky and Luke. She is married to Jeff. She flew over from Japan where Jeff is teaching. I think she wanted to be somewhere that is not shaking, flooding or slowly turning people into mutant zombies.


Teena's family. For those wondering, and those with poor memory, l-r: Jodi, Teena, Ben, Kevin and Jayme, Kevin's wife. Look at how colorful they are. Maybe too colorful? It's hard for me to tell. Lately I look at the pictures I take and think they look drab so I want to crank up the saturation until it becomes almost cartoonish, then I laugh for a little bit and crank it back down to something that is a little more acceptable.


You know these guys.


Here's a peek at the wedding pics for those of you who are anxiously awaiting. This will probably go in my coffee table book also, Artsy Table, not the cloud butt kicking one.


1 comment:

Kelli said...

Rob, I love your posts and your pictures and now I want to come and have you show me how to make my pictures look cool too! You're awesome!