I can't believe I let another month go by without an update to the blog. I need to get taking more pictures so I will have something to show to go along with my meaningless blabbering. Luckily I have a few that I can show from my latest "gig". Last month I sent out a plea for ideas on what to get a teenage girl turning 18 for her birthday. I was pleased to get many ideas like ... maybe I'll keep them to myself until after Christmas, I may have to use some of them and don't want to ruin the surprise. Anywho one of the responses to my plea was from Steve wondering if I would shoot his family. With a camera, as in portraits. I didn't see how this could possibly help me with finding a gift for an 18 year old female but me needing the practice said "when and where?"
After throwing some ideas back and forth and realizing that neither of us wanted to shell out $25 to take pictures at the Riverwoods mall we finally decided on this park on the corner of sandhill road and 2000 southish in Orem, over by the freeway. It used to be orchards and now it's this big park with a pond and ducks and a barn looking building and a fountain so I thought it would give us a bunch of options. It also had this bench, neat huh? My good friend at work and fellow amateur photog (yes, we call ourselves photogs but only around each other since everyone else would make fun of us) recommended it to me but also gave me a warning. "If you are taking pictures of kids be careful to not let them get distracted by the ducks."
The ducks are pretty cool and there are a few that will come up to you to see if you have anything better to offer than stale bread. We didn't so they decided to get really loud and tell all the other ducks that remained in the pond that we were losers. The bench looked lonely so I put Kyle and Ethan on it, looks better already. When Steve got there we decided that the fountain on the other side of the park, a good 2 football fields away, would be a better back ground to start off with. I'm happy to say that none of the kids were distracted by the ducks, other than Kyle. Lia's Kyle, not Steve and Judy's Kyle.
So here we are fixing ties, checking hair, getting stuff from between the teeth. Remember the wedding pictures where I was basically taking the behind the scenes pictures? I sometimes wonder what it would be like to put a bunch of these kinds of pictures on the walls in your house instead of the traditional posed pictures. The fountain made for a great background. I was worried about taking pictures of kids, if I would be able to get them to smile or if they would just look at me like kids usually do with their head tilted to one side and a curious look on their face that seems to ask "what an odd creature".
All of the kids were really good to work with and not one of them tilted their head and gave me a weird look, unless I told them to. I guess they know me by now. It turns out later on after the official shoot was over that the duck distraction made for one of the better non posed pictures. Funny how these things just tend to happen.
3 comments:
LOVE the peephole shot! That is hilarious! Do we get to see anymore? Will you shoot my family too? It might give you an excuse to take a vacation to sunny Chicago! Okay, the sunny part is a lie...
Hey how about you take some pictures of the Rob Christensen family and post them. The park looks like a great place for picture taking.
Your talent is increasing which will increase the demand for your services. Please remember me, the little people, when you make it big.
Post a Comment