I have to make sure I give equal time to each daughter so this is an update of what has been happening in the world of Alyssaville. Towne? Opolis?. Since our last meeting, Alyssa has firmly decided on a college to attend next fall. SUU. She even got her mom to go on a tour of the school one day and, AND, she even let her drive part of the way down. I know! Exciting huh? They have offered her a, I guess you call it a partial scholarship? I call it a blessing. I am really excited for her to get this opportunity to grow. I'll stop gushing now before I start to cry, this is not my computer and I don't want to ruin it.
In other news Alyssa applied for a couple of Sterling Scholar awards through Spanish Fork High School. Foreign Language and English. There's this big ole' story that goes along with the whole selection process with the school so if you see her some time she can tell you the whole crazy story but I will just tell you that she was selected for the Foreign Language award for Spanish Fork.
"What does that even mean?" you may ask? That means you get to, along with all of the many homework assignments that you have due, make a portfolio that advertises how awesome you are in the field you were chosen for. As if she would need to put together a portfolio for that, they should just be able to sense it. By the way, the school level of the Sterling Scholar does not pay out anything except for pats on the back, and hugs from parents. (we did pay you right?)
So Alyssa went to work on her advertising campaign pulling out all the achievements and awards and special warm fuzzies she has collected over the years to put in her portfolio. This is one of the pages she worked on.

Here is another of the pages. after getting this whole beast together those who were awarded Sterling Scholars at the School level then went to round two, a single elimination, fight to the death where you sit in front of a panel of people and answer questions as if you were applying for a job. Sadly Alyssa did not advance past this round (she was robbed, I demand a recount!) but there was a consolation prize, lunch at Macaroni Grill. Alyssa voted for Tucano's but there was some baloney about school budget or something like that, I can't remember exactly.

Alyssa's picture was in the Valentines edition of the Deseret News.
It's a group picture and the scan was really kind of crappy so... sorry about that. You can still see her, standing there in the middle, yellow belt. The only student selected from the school is the girl standing right next to her, no the one on the right, yep that's her.
In other news Alyssa applied for a couple of Sterling Scholar awards through Spanish Fork High School. Foreign Language and English. There's this big ole' story that goes along with the whole selection process with the school so if you see her some time she can tell you the whole crazy story but I will just tell you that she was selected for the Foreign Language award for Spanish Fork.
"What does that even mean?" you may ask? That means you get to, along with all of the many homework assignments that you have due, make a portfolio that advertises how awesome you are in the field you were chosen for. As if she would need to put together a portfolio for that, they should just be able to sense it. By the way, the school level of the Sterling Scholar does not pay out anything except for pats on the back, and hugs from parents. (we did pay you right?)
So Alyssa went to work on her advertising campaign pulling out all the achievements and awards and special warm fuzzies she has collected over the years to put in her portfolio. This is one of the pages she worked on.
Here is another of the pages. after getting this whole beast together those who were awarded Sterling Scholars at the School level then went to round two, a single elimination, fight to the death where you sit in front of a panel of people and answer questions as if you were applying for a job. Sadly Alyssa did not advance past this round (she was robbed, I demand a recount!) but there was a consolation prize, lunch at Macaroni Grill. Alyssa voted for Tucano's but there was some baloney about school budget or something like that, I can't remember exactly.

Alyssa's picture was in the Valentines edition of the Deseret News.
It's a group picture and the scan was really kind of crappy so... sorry about that. You can still see her, standing there in the middle, yellow belt. The only student selected from the school is the girl standing right next to her, no the one on the right, yep that's her. In other news, Alyssa has tried out for and made the high school golf team for the second year. She was able to go down to St. George for a tournament against one of the schools down there. The team lost by only 2 strokes. Not bad for the first match of the year and not being able to practice on a course that doesn't have standing water and patches of snow. Alyssa tore up the when she score 4 straight pars halfway through the round. I think I have made 4 pars my entire golf career. By the way, as they were passing Cedar City Alyssa stated "There's my future home".
And because I can't just stop with telling you Alyssa made the team, I also have to tell you that Kelsie made the high school team also. That means twice the dues and I get to go shopping for another set of clubs. Can you get sponsors for high school girl's golf? I may have to look into it.
4 comments:
Amazing Girls! Congrats Alyssa on Sterling Scholar! And congrats to both for the golf team! So wish I could come watch sometime!
Wow! Alyssa, I am so proud of you! You've got some great adventures ahead. Time to truly spread your wings and fly. So much world to see and life to live. You will rock it!
Yeah Alyssa!! I may have some clubs they can use if you want. Let me know!!
Congrats to both kids- and how exciting for Alyssa! I know SHE is going to have fun next year... but how are her parents going to survive without her in the house?? :)
Post a Comment