Monday, June 8, 2009

Chauffeur lessons

The last few months I have been busy with the training of my new chauffeur, the state insists on calling this "drivers education". With the addition of a new lens for my camera I decided this would be a perfect time to do some training in the art of hunting while driving. this is a unique skill. You must be able to stop at a moments notice and perform delicate and highly technical 3 point turns and U-turns in unlikely and difficult places. I thought I should warm up my shooting skills before we set out so off to the back yard I went. I started with something I knew would sit still for me. I know they're roses and roses just are not the manliest thing to take a picture of but I had an idea. Take a couple of nice pictures of flowers and then use them as virtual flowers that you can send to your spouse. Just think of all the money you could save? Then send that money to me because it's my idea.


Think of this one as more of a bouquet of roses. Just don't pay any attention to the weeds against the fence.



After laying on the grass, roll over and look up at the neighbors tree that hangs over the fence. I don't know, maybe someone will think it's artistic. Warm ups are over, it's time to hunt. I thought it would be a good idea for Alyssa to sharpen her driving skills by making her drive a long,straight and boring road to see how well she stayed focused. Knowing that if I was the one driving I would need something to keep me awake I started her training with a drill I call " The Drive-thru".


If you drive west on 4Th north in Spanish Fork you will eventually get to the lake, that is after a four way stop sign that seems to jump out of nowhere with the sole intention of making you slam on your brakes because by then you start to doze a little. We got to the lake and the first trial came when I told Alyssa to find a place to turn around so I could take a picture of this pelican.



We were then buzzed by some birds (hey! I'm not an expert, I'm just glad I know they are birds.)


I thought the hunting trip was going to turn into a waste of time so I took some pictures of storm clouds coming in. Artistic? You be the judge.


Or maybe just artsy-fartsy. Yes, I think there is a difference.

On the drive back we found the flock of Emu in an orchard. Woo hoo, not a complete bust after all.





I think they started to get annoyed with me. He looks kinda mad.



I was able to incorporate more driving skill in the days lesson when I spotted some more birds on the side of the road. The conversation went something like this (Alyssa will tell you something different though if you ask her).
Me: Oh wait go back, there's more birds.
Alyssa: OK, I'll turn around in this driveway.
Me: UUGHWAAAA! (panicking sounds) DON'T BACK UP IN THE DITCH!
Alyssa: Relax old man, I know what I'm doing.
Me: (after driving back past the birds) OK, now flip a u-turn and drive up slowly to the birds.
Alyssa: This lady is gonna think we are weird.
Me: You mean we're not?




This turned out to be the last of the wildlife that we found so I let her take us back to town. She even got to experience her first episode of driving hypnosis when she about didn't see that stupid stop sign at the four way stop. I felt I had to give her some home work for her lack of attentiveness.

So I made her change a tire. Actually she had to do this for her drivers ed class. We found a church parking lot that was kinda flat so the car wouldn't roll away.


I'm not too worried about her changing a tire. she did it like a pro.








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

GO ALYSSA!!!!!

love kati <3

sherry said...

I want to take how to give you kids driving lesson from you. rob do you think you can take TJ out for a turn?

Anonymous said...

Good going Alyssa. Proud of you. also proud of your Dad. Good Pictures.

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone! Driving is so much fun with you dad! But next time give me a little more warning when you want to go on a hunting trip, and I will remember to bring snacks...