Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Alaska Part 4 - The day of many tears.

This morning we "limped" into Sitka a couple of hours later than expected. Why you ask? It seems that the night before, one of the engine pods developed a problem. Looking back we noticed that from about 5pm on that night the boat acted like it had a flat tire. At dinner you could see the water in every one's water glass rock back and forth. On some decks you hardly felt it. Not the case where we slept. Or didn't sleep. About midnight the shaking stopped, that's also the time that a loud noise was heard from the starboard (that would be the right side for you land people) engine pod. That morning they announced that divers were going in the water to inspect the engine pod to see if there was any damage. Remember a few weeks back when that ship hit a whale and they didn't know it until they docked? I wanted to take my camera and watch over the rail in case they pulled out some whale guts. That morning Dale told us that Lou the pilot said we might not make it to our next stop in Ketchikan. Here is where the first tears start. I was really wanting to see the totem poles. Lonna and the kids decided that we had better do most of our shopping here in Sitka. We walked up to the shopping area, looked in a few stores, then continued on to the end of the shops. We saw this lone totem pole and thought that it might be the only one we see so we hurried and snapped a picture. This happens to be the high school. Alyssa didn't feel so bad about going to a run down school like Spanish Fork after she saw this one.
How could you not take a funny family picture next to a totem pole? It's just criminal.
After a few hours of walking up and down the street and then up and down again to find that puffin key chain, we finally made our way back to the ship. Sitka only has a small dock so all the passengers had to be "tendered" to the dock from the ship. This means they take a few lifeboats and run a shuttle service back and forth. On the way to the dock we were on a bigger boat that was helping out the cruise line because we were so late, the guide was a local kid. He was very informative of the surrounding area, especially when Sherry asked where Ryan Reynolds was during the filming of "The Proposal". Apparently it was not filmed in the actual city of Sitka. I believe Sherry thought the rest of the day was a waste of time? This picture was from inside the lifeboat on the way back to the ship. I guess if the alternative was drowning, it is a good vessel to be in. I came really close to losing my expensive lunch. It's Alaska, everything is expensive.
It's a good thing I wasn't sick because that night was the reason we went on the cruise in the first place. My parents 50Th Anniversary. 50 years ago this whole adventure began for them. That night we were able to eat in the ultra fancy restaurant, the Pinnacle Grill. It was also our second fancy dress up nice day. I got to put on my $18 suit again. While shopping for cruise clothes I thought it would be nice to get a new suit because mine experienced some "shrinkage" all over so what better excuse than a cruise? I had joked with Alyssa and Lonna that I wanted to wear a white jacket and a black shirt and tie. They thought I was crazy. Good thing I didn't, Dad and I would have looked like twins. (this is funny because dad already has a twin...O.K. maybe just funny in my own head) The restaurant made a cake for the special occasion (please don't be coffee flavored). This was the second time they blew out the candle because everyone thought I was the official "take the picture of them blowing out the candles" person and I wasn't ready the first time.
After dinner we went to get our group picture taken. I tried to get all the couples as they left the restaurant but missed a bunch of people. I was glad I got this one of Mark and Lois. It was fun having them there.
Rae and Dale.
Jenny and Jim (This is solely for the readers who have no idea who any of these people are)
Larry and Sherry.
Kelli and Steve. I see this and feel like such a loser husband. It's like they are still on their honeymoon.
After the big group picture we got together in a private room to celebrate the festive day. This is where most of the tears came from. They started when we found out we might miss Ketchikan. They continued when we had to go back up the street to get that puffin key chain. (my back was starting to hurt) More on the ride back in the "barf mobile", and the rest here, in this room. Why you ask? Let me tell you. On Sunday we had a get together for our version of "church at sea" where Dad gave us a heads up on what he wanted for the party. He wanted all of his kids to say something, kind of like a roast but in a nice way and not with all the insults. Tonight was the night. Did I prepare anything? Yeah right! I forgot all about it until just after the picture when Lonna reminded me. Luckily when things like this happen I have time to listen to what my brothers and sisters say and then wing it. Look at the chairs, the cruise dudes set them up like we were going to have church.
Rae Anne was first so I would at least have 3 people in front of me to think of something that didn't sound like "umm, uhh, duuuh". When Dale said a few words I thought it was just because Dad told the funny story of when they met for the first time. When Larry was asked to say something I saw a pattern starting to form. I think this is when I turned to Lonna and mouthed the words " I'm Sorry" to her. Lonna hates to speak in front of groups of people. Funny, Mom is the same way. We went through the whole group, except for the kids, then we had more cake (please don't be coffee flavored). Dad arranged well in advance to have a cake at this party. Two cakes in one night, we were stuffed. Present time! I thought going was the present. I didn't even think to get them a funny card that is somewhat on the edge of rude/mean/naughty as is my tradition with their birthdays. I can pick some doozies. (doozies? Where did I get this word? Is this even spelled correctly?)
See, another cake.
Here's our family picture that we had taken that night. $18 dollars can buy a pretty good suit. Since I couldn't get the white jacket and black shirt and tie I made it my goal to at least wear a colorful shirt. the first night was an electric blue shirt with a blue and pink tie. Alyssa hated the tie.
Here's the group picture. Whats that? You say that we are all in different clothes? Funny story. We had the group picture that night remember? The photographer put us all on this same staircase, girls in front and the boys in back. What a stupid arrangement you say? I agree. When Dad went over to see the pictures the next day they looked horrible. Blurry and the setting was ridiculous. They told him that they can only have one sitting scheduled per person, so my aunt Zelma set one up in her name, new picture. Different photographer. We did a funny pose too but someone will have to e-mail me a copy of it.
This is the towel animal we got that night. I'm gonna need to buy a book on how to do them.
I have tried to describe the rooms to some of the people at work, so here are some pictures to help you get a better idea of what the rooms were like. This is my parents room, behind the curtains is the balcony.
Nice entry with a desk and bar.
This was our room. Try not to notice the messy counter. Alyssa slept on the bunk, right above me. I defended against her falling on me in the middle of the night by snoring, she countered by hitting the railing every once in a while.

5 comments:

Jenni said...

Good job Rob!!

Kelli said...

You did such a good job of taking pictures, I look back now and think, why didn't I take any pictures of that?

Grammy Rae said...

Thanks for the laugh to start my day. You're giving a beautifully funny rendering of our trip.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Rob. You must take after someone other than me, I'm not good at telling stories. Loved it.

sherry said...

Okay I will give you my book on folding towels if you take that picture off of Larry and I looking totally disgusted with something. hahahaha. You are great!