Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Juneau 2.5 - The wrath of Tom's wife. Featuring Duane

While we were in Juneau we were able to go to the glacier (big let down, remember the smoke?) but what you didn't hear is the story of the ride to he glacier. We didn't book an excursion through he boat so we winged it and found our own transportation. Just outside of the tram building (actually they are all over the place) are some small shacks to arrange transportation to anything you could possibly want to do in Juneau. We found one to the glacier and started to work a deal for 14 of us. After some, and by some I mean a lot, of back and forth we got a ride to the glacier along with a tour of the city for just $2 more than just the ride. Note to those thinking of going to Juneau, just get a ride to the glacier, skip the tour. Unless you happen to get Duane as your driver, but only for the whole experience because during the tour you will probably be cursing me. I was.
This is Duane. I figured we were in good hands once I saw his hair cut. Duane is a native Alaskan from some tribe that I don't remember. After he told us how he town was founded by some miner dude we were off.
The tour starts through the streets and by the looks of it shouldn't take too long because the town doesn't look that big and you wonder how it could be the capitol of Alaska. Duane tells you why all the buildings look like the could withstand an atomic blast because they would get these high winds that would blow the roofs off the buildings. This is when I decided that I could leave my camera in the bag, there would be no pictures of this town. Luckily my kids took pictures, so you guys could enjoy pictures like these...
I have no idea what this building is.

Why is my kid taking a picture of a saloon?
See why I didn't take pictures? The fire station? Really?

Halfway through the tour we were able to get out and take a picture of our boat, Alyssa snapped this picture of us snapping pictures. I was happy to see this because it has Tom in it. Tom and his wife were sitting behind me. Tom is the guy with the white hair and beard. I know his name is Tom because his wife yelled at him many times during the first half of the trip to the glacier (yes, we are only half way to the glacier). I think I will call him "poor Tom". I was happily sitting in my seat being criticized for not taking pictures of the city when I heard the a lady behind me with an excited voice say "Tom, there it is, the Rainbow market Tom, it's the Rainbow market, get a picture Tom! Tom!?" Tom is frantically trying to get his camera ready to take a picture, when he did have it on, right side up and facing the right way, he turned to take the picture of the market only to point the camera right at the one foot divider between the two windows. Tom quickly readjusted but by then we were off again and Poor Tom missed the rainbow market. "Oh Tom! Give me the camera!" A few streets later a banging on the window behind me and... "Tom, there's the house Tom, give me the camera Tom. What house number is theirs Tom?" Tom fumbles around in his pocket, finds a paper and tells her it is 212, by this time we are at 590. Poor Tom.

















We finally got to the glacier as you saw last time and suddenly it was time to go back, at least this shouldn't take as long, should it? How silly of me to think it would be a straight shot home. Duane took us to a few more places like a church built over 100 years ago that from it's front windows you can see the glacier...if it wasn't smokey. Then we drive through the university of Alaska that is probably smaller than the Spanish Fork High School campus where you can also see the glacier...if it wasn't smoky, then to the airport where from the restaurant you can see the glacier... IF IT WASN'T SMOKEY. Duane also, in graphic detail for the kids, explained the life cycle of the salmon, it just doesn't end well for the parents.




For some reason the women all know where every bathroom is in Juneau, I didn't hear this, the only thing I remember Duane showing us is all the teen hangouts and how you can see the glacier... all together now, if it wasn't so smokey.




5 comments:

Jenni said...

Aww the memories!!

Grammy Rae said...

You gave me a good laugh remembering good old Duane and seeing everything you ever didn't want to see in Juneau and more.

Anonymous said...

Good going Rob, I hope it really wasn't that bad. We did get to see the bears, after much waiting.

Kelli said...

Hey, I really liked that tour! Especially the part when I fell asleep!!

sherry said...

Great blog Rob and I want permission to copy yours right to mine. Then I don't have to write one. Which at the rate I am going I won't.