Thursday, November 27, 2008

Yes! I smoke. Turkey!

Woohoo! Thanksgiving! We shook things up a little bit this year and had dinner at home, just the four of us. It was Lonna's dad's year and since he decided to go down south to Carole's mom's we thought it would be fun for the girls to have a year at home. This makes the food assignment easier to remember, or harder, depends on how you look at it. Since there are only four of us, a big turkey seems kind of like overkill and I just have to be different, so what do I do? I smoke. The turkey that is. I told dad that I was smoking a turkey, he asked how I wrapped it so we could smoke it, I didn't get it at first, good one dad. This is no ordinary turkey, it's boneless, skinless and crammed into a mesh net so it won't fall apart. I found this an easier option because to smoke a full size turkey would take 9 hours (and alot of little papers). As you can probably guess, my turkey now has no place to put the delicious stuffing so that is why it is in the crock pot. I think we have enough to last until Christmas. At least I hope so.





Time to get smokin'. This is what it looks like when I get everything together (as if I ever have everything together)




A separate coal chimney to get more coals hot and ready to be transferred to the smoker.






Trying to transfer the coals without burning my fingers off. This is starting to get easier but is still risky.





The finished product. Looks more like a football than a turkey, and tastes like ham (mmm, ham). Not quite done yet (took about 5 hours and well worth the wait).


The rest of the evening we spent napping (mandatory activity for Thanksgiving) and playing games with the kids. Kelsie wanted to play scrabble, I am very bad at scrabble. For some reason my vocabulary reduces to "it", "is", "fig" and some medical words that I have no hope of ever getting enough of the right letters to spell... correctly. This game seemed to have a theme at least, Alyssa threw out boobs, I somehow picked out the letters to spell groin. Lonna stumbled on some interesting letters too but opted not to use them in front of the girls. Not really the best words for clean family fun but we did have fun.







2 comments:

sherry said...

You are the turkey man.
What a fun Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

It sure sound good, maybe next year we will have you do the turkey. I sure glad you had a fun Thanksgiving, so did we.