Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas 2009 Episode 3: The Final Party

Christmas came. You probably already knew that though because it happened at your house too. You saw all the pre-game festivities so now it's time to see the main event. In a nutshell, the girls were spoiled. All 3 of them. It's fun to spoil them because they are worth it. We always open socks first. That's the way I have always done it and that's how most people do it, I think, not that there is a rule or anything, unless there is an ultra secret Christmas sock task force that enforces this practice. Lonna got a funny shaped package and Alyssa thought she could guess what it was, she was wrong it was a can of almonds.
We don't usually have to raise our hands in order to open presents, she was shooting a paper basket ball, coach said to stay in shape during the holidays, I guess this counts. It went in, of course.
Looks like a very musical Christmas. I think we have enough guitars for every one of us.
For the last few days Alyssa and Kelsie have been playing Beatles songs. I think most of my dreams have a Beatles soundtrack along with a faint tap tap tap. Ever since the cruise, Alyssa has been in "like" with the music of the Beatles. Like because Love seemed like a strong word for it.
She loves this movie. I think it's all because of the hello kitty band-aid scene. My personal favorite is when he slides behind the kiosk but only makes it half way there. Or maybe the time he tried to break through the glass doors, it's a toss up.
That's it for Christmas day, now on to the big Christensen family Christmas/ G-pop Birthday bash. Now look at this picture. Notice anything weird? Nice comfy chairs, cushy couch. Looks inviting huh? Would you believe this house now has about 20 people in it? No really. I only show this to prove a point. Not that I really have to prove it to anyone in my family, we all know it's true so this is for all you faithful readers not born in the Christensen Clan. (sounds kinda pompous huh? I just couldn't think of another way to say it. I literally sat here for 3 minutes racking my brain but that's the best I could come up with, kinda pathetic if you ask me, that's why I am a Nurse and not an English major, Steve would have come up with something way better) When we get together as a family this is not the place we congregate. So where do we gather? Let's take a walk.
Here's the kitchen, notice G-pop and G-ma busy getting the food ready. So where is everyone else?
Here they are crammed around the counter and table... standing. When Great G-ma was alive she would get a little miffed at us because when everyone was together we would stand around the counter and talk. She hated to be the only one in the living room sitting on a comfy chair and miss out on the conversation.
More milling around waiting for dinner to start. Sherry taking pictures with her new bigger camera.
This is Corbin, Sherry's grandson. She took a lot of pictures of him. She will probably copy this one off the blog, that's o.k. He is a cute kid. Even when he is stealing a potato chip.
This could only mean one thing. This is the "Thanks for coming, eat the food, eat it all, have fun, then go home, later, not now but later, after eating all the food, right after the prayer" pep talk.
Some of the kids got smart and took up the cushy seats. They lost them after the prayer and the food was officially declared open to eat.
Looks like we are still waiting to eat, sorry for jumping the gun. Meanwhile this is Ashley, patiently waiting.
Steve and Lia are also patiently waiting.
Woo hoo, Dinner! Buffet style. This is the only way to feed everyone. Much more relaxed, informal, casual, I would go on but can't think of any more.
After dinner, and some entertainment from Corbin, we had a small gift exchange for the kids. I thought we would do the Left/Right game but we did the pick a number and open a gift game instead. The one where the next person can steal the gift you just opened and you would have to open another one. I think all the kids stuck with the present they brought or the one they happened to open for fear of being labeled as a "stealer of presents". Berrett did steal TJ's $5 and Mr. Goodbar near the end though, smart move Berrett, always go for the money. Kelsie was excited to get a yo-yo that automatically goes back up to your hand without any special effort.



After the gift exchange Sherry pulled out another game for the kids to play. A dice game where everyone starts out with 3 pieces of candy. Each person rolls the dice and slowly gives their candy either away to the person on the left or right or to the middle until all the candy is in the middle except for that last person with one piece left and they win all the candy. Sounds like watered down gambling to me. Anywho, for all those that missed the party, you were missed. A big thanks to Steve and Kelli for the present, the kids are excited to play the game. This is it for the blog. You will just have to wait until next year for any more info. Don't cry, it's only a few days away.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all had fun time, and I agree Christmas is only a few days away. I seems to come faster each year. Thanks for capturing the memories.

Jenni said...

Looks like fun, sorry we couldn't be there. We miss all the family!

sherry said...

Yep I am going to steel the picture. I need to start doing my own blogs...